top of page


Experts in food and nutrition

Registered Dietitians (RDs) are food and nutrition experts who hold credentials from a national accreditation body. While many people refer to RDs as Nutritionists, there is often a big difference between the two terms. That difference is nearly always the amount of formal education. 


In order to be an informed consumer, it is always good to do your homework. While some Nutritionists have formal education, there is no governing body. There are some credentials with various forms of the word 'Nutritionist', with each varying from merely paying for a certificate to some with academic requirements. The biggest difference is Nutritionists are often free regulation or practice standards, allowing almost anyone to use the title. The RD credential is recognized as the foremost professional in the field of nutrition and dietetics.


Similar to Registered Nurse (RN) and other medical specialties, there are academic and practice requirements to be eligible to sit for the Registered Dietitian exam. To be eligible to sit for the RD exam, one must have completed a minimum of a Bachelors degree and 6 to 12 months of supervised practice. Many have Masters, PhDs and other specialty credentials. In the year 2024 a Masters degree will be a minimum requirement. 

Whether you choose to work with a RD, Nutritionist, or anyone else, we implore you to understand their qualifications, experience and most importantly if they are a fit to address your individualized needs. 

bottom of page